Greenwood Cemetery (Owensboro, KY)
In 2006, the Greenwood Cemetery in Owensboro, KY, turned 100 years old. The 16-acre cemetery was established in January 1906 by a group of African American men who purchased the land for $3,000; in February of that year the group was incorporated as the Greenwood Cemetery Association.
The land, paid for in full in November 1906, became Owensboro's African American cemetery, serving the community for 70 years before burials were ceased in 1976. It contains more than 2,000 graves; the actual number is still being researched.
After 1976, the Greenwood Cemetery was abandoned and became overgrown with weeds and vandalized. Beginning in 1992 the Greenwood Cemetery Restoration Committee began, led by Wesley Acton and Emily Holloway. Greenwood Cemetery, 1821 Leitchfield Road, Owensboro, KY, by Jerry Long, tells of the history and restoration of the cemetery and includes a list of the gravestones, death certificates, and obituaries from Owensboro newspapers and other sources.
The Greenwood Cemetery database of burials, available at the Daviess County Public Library, will continue to be updated; send contributions to Jerry Long in the Kentucky Room of the Daviess County Public Library or to members of the Greenwood Cemetery Restoration Committee.
For more information see the following articles in the Owensboro Messenger-Inquirer: K. Lawrence, "Cemetery more crowded than thought," 3/3/2005; and R. B. Jones, "Cemetery project in the works," 12/28/2005. See also the Greenwood Cemetery page at FindAGrave.com;
Copies of Greenwood Cemetery, 1821 Leitchfield Road, Owensboro, KY may be purchased from the Greenwood Cemetery Restoration Committee, 3514 Christie Place, Owensboro, KY 42301.