Bourbon County Training School (Little Rock, KY)
The Bourbon County Training School was located in Little Rock, KY. It began as an industrial course at the colored school prior to becoming the industrial training school in 1914. The school was supported by the Slater Fund [source: The History of Education of Bourbon County, by J. R. Welch].
Ms. Maggie L. Freeman was the principal as early as 1911. The industrial school provided advanced training for students in the county. In 1915, there were 70 students and three teachers. The students were provided a nine-grade course with elementary work in the first eight grades and secondary subjects and practice teaching in the ninth grade. Industrial training included cooking, sewing, gardening, and poultry farming.
According to J. R. Welch, the Bourbon County Training School was established in 1918, a consolidation of the colored school district in Little Rock. C. T. Cook was the school principal in 1919. The school was located on two acres on Mt. Sterling Pike, a frame school house with six rooms and an auditorium. The building had electric lights. The building and property were valued at about $3,000.
By 1933, there were around 80 students, some transported by school bus. In addition to the courses, the school included a P. T. A., dramatic club, and music club; sports included basketball, baseball, and track teams. The school was still open in 1933 when Professor William J. Callery was principal when the school had become an accredited four-year high school.
For more see "Bourbon County Training School" on pp. 264-265 in Negro Education by the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Education, Bulletin 1916, No. 39, Volume II [available full-text at Google Books]; and The Kentucky Negro Educational Association Journal, April 25-26, 1919, p. 4, and vol. 3, issue 2 (January-February 1933), p. 22 [available online at ExploreUK]. See also the entries for African American Schools in the NKAA Database.