African Church (Danville, KY)(start date: 1846)
The first Saturday of August 1846, the First Baptist Church in Danville, KY, separated its 126 African American members into their own independent church known as the African Church. The first pastor, Rev. Jordan Meaux, was a property owner who was considered a good leader in the church. Rev. Henry Green was the second minister, followed by Rev. Isaac Slaughter, who served for 26 years.
The church also had a school, Baptist Academy, run by teacher Mrs. Mary Bell Wallace [source: "First Baptist Church, Danville, KY." in Golden Jubilee of the General Association of Colored Baptists in Kentucky, edited by Rev. C. H. Parrish, Moderator for the Association, pp. 254-255]. In 1915, the church was located at the corner of Second and Walnut Streets.
For more information and a picture of the church, see Negro Baptist History, 1750-1930, by L. G. Jordan.