From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)
Grant County (KY) Enslaved, Free Blacks, and Free Mulattoes, 1850-1870Grant County was formed in 1820 from a portion of Pendleton County and is surrounded by six Kentucky counties. Located in north-central Kentucky, it was named for one or all of the frontiersmen brothers Samuel, John, and Squire Grant.
The county seat, Williamstown, was incorporated in 1825; it was named for William Arnold, a native of New Jersey, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War, and builder of the first Grant County courthouse in 1821.
The 1820 Grant County population was 278 [heads of households] in the U.S. Federal Census, increasing to 7,660 by 1860, excluding the enslaved. Below are the numbers for the slave holders, enslaved, free Blacks, and free Mulattoes for 1850-1870.
1850 Slave Schedule
- 164 slave owners
- 452 Black slaves
- 80 Mulatto slaves
- 6 free Blacks
- 0 free Mulattoes
- 195 slave owners
- 500 Black slaves
- 197 Mulatto slaves
- 15 free Blacks
- 12 free Mulattoes [last names Lair, Prudean, and 1 King]
- 331 Blacks
- 176 Mulattoes
- About 18 U.S. Colored Troops listed Grant County, Ky, as their birth location.