From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)
Colored Department (Paducah Newspaper)
In 1896, the Paducah Daily Sun newspaper was purchased by Frank M. Fisher, and a new column, "Colored Department," was added. The column included items such as births, church news, and masonic lodge news. In 1897, submissions for the column were to be left at the store of J. W. Moore, and from there they would be delivered to the newspaper [source: Paducah Daily Sun, 01/09/1897, p. 3]. By November of 1897, the submitted items could be left with C. W. Merriweather at 221 S. 7th Street in Paducah; Merriweather would take the information to the newspaper [source: Paducah Daily Sun, 11/10/1897, p. 3]. The "Colored Department column" can be read online in the 1896 issues of the Paducah Daily Sun newspaper within the Kentucky Digital Library - Newspapers. Other issues that include the column from 1896-1898 are available online at Chronicling America. In 1898 the Colored Department column ceased to be published; owner Frank M. Fisher merged the Paducah Daily Sun with the Weekly Sun, resulting in the Paducah Sun [source: About Paducah Sun at the Chronicling America website].