From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)

Little Georgetown (Fayette County, KY)

Located on Parkers Mill Road in Fayette County, one version of the community's beginning states that a George Waltz gave land to ex-slaves following the Civil War. It has been debated as to whether the community was named after George Waltz or after a freeman named George Washington who owned a portion of the land and divided it into lots in 1877. At that time, the community had three other African American land owners: F. Smith, J. Edmunds, and M. Overstreet. The word "Little" was added to the name of the community to differentiate it from the city of Georgetown, KY. Over the years, Little Georgetown grew to include 90 residents on 34 acres. The expansion of the Lexington Bluegrass Airport nearly wiped out the community. A picture of the Little Georgetown Colored School, dated 1929, is available in the Kentucky Digital Library - Images. For more see Negro Hamlets and Gentlemen Farms: a dichotomous rural settlement pattern in Kentucky's Bluegrass Region, by P. C. Smith; Historical Communities Near Lexington; and J. Duke, "Rural Fayette communities cling to life of yesterday," Lexington Herald-Leader, 08/11/1985, Main News section, p. A1.


Cited in this Entry

NKAA Source: Negro hamlets and gentlemen farms: a dichotomous rural settlement pattern in Kentucky's Bluegrass Region (thesis)
NKAA Source: Lexington herald-leader (newspaper)

Cite This NKAA Entry:

“Little Georgetown (Fayette County, KY),” Notable Kentucky African Americans Database, accessed May 21, 2022,

Last modified: 2017-09-14 20:58:53