Berry, Elder A.
Elder A. Berry opened the first theological school for African Americans in the Olivet Baptist Church in Louisville, KY, in 1874. The school lasted only five months, but it led the way for other theological schools for African Americans. The church was named Centennial Olivet in 1880 with Rev. G. W. Ward as pastor. The list of pastors is given with the history of the Centennial Olivet Baptist Church. For more see A History of Blacks in Kentucky from Slavery to Segregation, 1760-1891, by M. B. Lucas; and p.84 in Caron's Directory of the City of Louisville, for 1880.